SEPTA’s monthly presentations for the 2016-2017 school year
All meetings held Thursdays, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
2110 Washington Boulevard, Room 101 (unless otherwise noted)
- September 22 “Is Your Child a Target for Bullying?” The Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center will present.
- October 13 Mini-Grants and more. Teachers will learn about our mini-grant application process. Teacher attendees will receive a gift membership to SEPTA. Linda Campinelli, a board member and member of the VA Medicaid Waiver committee will discuss the recent waiver redesign.
- November 10 Introduction to Special Education en español. This workshop will help you identify your child’s learning strengths and challenges as well as organize your important information about your child so it will be helpful in educational planning. Come and learn the seven phases of the special education process and identify the specific actions you may take during the special education process. You will become familiar with due process rights and learn ways to work as partners with teacher and other school personnel. English translation will be available.
- December 8 SEPTA Superintendent Chat with Dr. Patrick Murphy and senior staff. New this year: a student roundtable! Social time begins at 6:30pm with catering by the Program for Employment Preparedness. This meeting will be held at APS Education Center, 1426 N. Quincy St., 22207, Room #101
- January 12 Organize your papers! Professional organizer Janet Schiesel will lead a hands-on session to help you tame the paper chase.
- February 9 Summer Options for kids with special needs, featuring APS Summer school; Arlington Therapeutic Recreation on camps/classes; JCCNV; LCF for Kids and the Auburn School.
- March 9 Circle Conversations on School Transitions
- April 20 The State of Autism Research and Best Practice
- May 11 Caregivers and Siblings
- June Family Picnic